This is an easy macaroni and ground beef casserole recipe, and it makes a great-tasting dinner for any night of the week. Add a tossed salad and warm rolls or crusty bread for a perfect meal. I used our favorite arrabbiata sauce in this recipe, but any good marinara or tomato sauce will work.
- 8 ounces macaroni
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/2 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 rib celery, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1 large jar (32 ounces) prepared spaghetti sauce, your favorite
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
- Cook macaroni in boiling salted water following package directions. Drain the macaroni in a colander and rinse with hot water.
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- Spray a 2 1/2- to 3-quart baking dish with nonstick cooking spray or butter lightly.
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion, bell pepper, and celery; cook, stirring, for about 3 to 4 minutes, until tender. Add the ground beef and cook, stirring and breaking up, until no longer pink. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute longer. Add the spaghetti sauce and tomato paste. Bring to a simmer. Simmer for 5 minutes. Add the cooked and drained macaroni and stir to blend.
- Transfer to the baking dish. Top with the cheese and bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until cheese is melted and the mixture is bubbly.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||45 g|
|Saturated Fat||21 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||16 g|
|Dietary Fiber||6 g|