This Indian dessert recipe for barfi is made with only four ingredients — cream, sweetened condensed milk, powdered milk and pistachios.
It couldn't be simpler to make as it is mixed in the same microwave-safe pan it is baked in. It is cooked in a microwave and then cut into squares while still warm. The end result is surprisingly delicious for so few ingredients and such little effort.
Milk-based Indian desserts are popular in the culinary repertoire of India and barfi is just one of them.
There are many variations of barfi, especially the fudge-like coconut version, which most often is made on occasions like Diwali (the Hindu festival of lights) and Christmas. Barfi made with pistachios, as is done here, is known as pista barfi.
- 2 cups powdered milk granules (from whole milk, not skim milk)
- 10.14 ounces/300 ml heavy cream
- 14.11 ounces/400 g can sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 cup skinless pistachios (finely chopped)
- In a rectangular microwave-safe baking pan, whisk together milk powder, heavy cream and sweetened condensed milk until smooth. Reserve the pistachios for garnish.
- Place the pan in the microwave and set the timer for 6 minutes on the high setting. Start and run the microwave. Watch the dish carefully and if the mixture looks like it might boil over, stop immediately and wait for 8 to 10 seconds. Start again and run until the 6-minute time is up.
- Take the pan out of the microwave and stir well to break all lumps (these lumps are the milk solids that are beginning to form due to the cooking).
- Put the pan back in the microwave and set again on High for 6 minutes. Watch closely the first minute and then allow to continue cooking.
- When the time is up, sprinkle the chopped pistachios over the surface of the barfi while still in the microwave and let sit for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, remove barfi from the microwave and cut into 2- to 2 1/2-inch squares. Serve immediately or after cooling to room temperature.
Note: The cooking time in this recipe is for a 900-watt microwave oven set on High. To have a successful result, adjust the timing and setting to suit the wattage of your microwave.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||15 g|
|Saturated Fat||10 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||4 g|
|Dietary Fiber||0 g|