This easy one-rise nut roll recipe has sour cream in the dough and the filling comes together on the stove.
Nut rolls are popular throughout Central and Eastern Europe, especially Croatia, Serbia, Slovenia, Slovakia, and Poland.
This recipe makes two rolls which are traditionally baked on a sheet pan but, to ensure against leaks, they can be baked in two (9x5-inch) greased loaf pans.
For a gluten-free version, check out this Gluten-Free Nut Roll Recipe.
- For the Dough:
- 1 cup sour cream
- 3 tablespoons butter (softened)
- 5 tablespoons sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 package (2 1/4 teaspoons) instant yeast (or rapid-rise dry yeast)
- 2 large eggs (room temperature, beaten)
- For the Nut Filling:
- 1 pound walnuts (ground finely to a meal-like consistency)
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 large egg (room temperature)
- 4 ounces butter
Make the Filling
- In a medium nonstick saucepan, mix together walnuts, milk, 1 1/2 cups sugar, 1 egg and 4 ounces butter. Bring just to a boil, reduce heat and simmer on medium-low, stirring frequently (if using a pan that is not nonstick, watch and stir carefully so the filling doesn't burn), until mixture is thick.
- Cool completely before spreading on dough, but don't refrigerate because it will become too firm to spread.
Make the Dough
- In a large saucepan (or in a microwave-safe bowl), bring sour cream to a boil. Remove from heat and stir in, until well blended, 3 tablespoons butter, 5 tablespoons sugar, baking soda and salt. Cool to 120 to 130 degrees on an instant-read thermometer.
- While sour cream mixture is cooling, in a large bowl, whisk together flour and yeast. Add eggs to cooled sour cream mixture and then transfer to flour-yeast mixture.
- Mix with hands until a sticky dough forms. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and knead lightly to form a smooth ball. Cover with an overturned bowl or greased plastic wrap and let stand 5 minutes.
Assemble and Bake
- The dough will be soft. Divide in half. Working with 1 piece of dough at a time and using as little extra flour as possible, roll to a 1/4-inch-thick rectangle. Spread with half of the filling.
- Flip the sides of the dough in and then roll from the bottom up. Place on a parchment-lined sheet pan or in a greased 9x5-inch loaf pan and let rise for 1 to 1 1/2 hours, covered with greased plastic, until light. Repeat with remaining dough and filling.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Bake 35 minutes. Let cool on or in pan 10 minutes. Then transfer from sheet pan to a cooling rack or invert loaf pan onto a wire rack to cool completely before cutting.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||22 g|
|Saturated Fat||6 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||5 g|
|Dietary Fiber||2 g|