|Nutrition Facts (per serving)|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 3g||4%|
|Saturated Fat 2g||9%|
|Total Carbohydrate 16g||6%|
|Dietary Fiber 1g||4%|
|Total Sugars 2g|
|Vitamin C 15mg||77%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
This easy rice recipe is baked in the oven and includes vegetables, making it a tasty side dish or main meatless meal. The mixture of chopped celery, onion, bell pepper, and carrot adds a variety of colors, flavors, and textures, and the chicken broth and garlic powder contribute a nice flavor. All of the ingredients are combined in a baking dish, covered, and cooked until everything is tender, meaning this recipe easy enough for a weeknight but also ideal for serving at a family gathering. The baked rice dish is perfect for accompanying a roasted chicken or turkey, baked fish, pork chops, or even a beef roast. Feel free to make it a main dish by adding some ham, chicken, leftover roast beef, or tofu.
Gather the ingredients.
Preheat the oven to 350 F.
Combine all of the ingredients in a 2-quart baking dish and stir well.
Cover tightly and bake in the preheated oven for 1 hour.
Serve alongside your choice of entrée and enjoy.
- Feel free to swap out some of the vegetables for your favorites or whatever you have on hand. Green peas, spinach, asparagus, tomatoes, and green beans are all good choices. Add leafy greens and more tender vegetables toward the end of cooking time.
- For added flavor, mix in fresh or dried herbs, such as parsley, oregano, and basil.
- Saute the vegetables with onion and garlic in oil before adding to the rest of the ingredients and baking.
- Give the dish a creamy finish by stirring in some shredded cheese once it's cooked; simply cover the pan and let sit to allow the cheese to melt.
- Swap out the white rice for yellow rice and use red pepper or a combination of colored peppers. Top with sliced avocado and serve alongside carne asada.
- For a complete meal, place raw seasoned chicken parts on top of the rice mixture, cover, and bake until the chicken is fully cooked, which may take closer to an hour and a half.
You can simply make this recipe vegetarian by substituting the chicken broth for vegetable broth.