|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 23g||30%|
|Saturated Fat 8g||39%|
|Total Carbohydrate 12g||4%|
|Dietary Fiber 1g||2%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
Pork chops are often a go-to recipe, as they are easy to prepare. But they can also easily become overcooked, dry, and tough. This oven-barbecued pork chop recipe, however, turns out tender and moist chops that are cooked in a flavorful sauce. In addition, the recipe is easy to prepare and makes a tasty everyday family meal. The pork chops are baked with a simple homemade barbecue sauce, which will reduce and thicken as it cooks. It's an excellent alternative to grilled chops on a rainy day. Serve these flavorful pork chops with coleslaw, beans, and roasted potatoes.
If you're pressed for time or don't have all of the ingredients, feel free to use a purchased barbecue sauce instead of the homemade sauce mixture.
- For the Chops:
- 6 center-cut loin pork chops, 3/4 to 1-inch thick
- 1 medium onion (halved and thinly sliced)
- For the Sauce:
- 1/4 cup vinegar
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Optional: 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
Heat oven to 350 F. Line a 13 x 9 x 2-inch baking pan with aluminum foil.
Arrange the pork chops in a single layer in the foil-lined pan and scatter the onion slices over the chops.
To make the barbecue sauce, whisk together all of the ingredients in a bowl until thoroughly combined. Pour the sauce over the pork chops.
Bake the pork chops, uncovered, for 1 hour, or until the meat is tender.
Transfer the pork chops to a platter and spoon the sauce over them.
- This is the type of recipe that takes well to additional and alternate ingredients. If you like a smoky flavor, add 1 teaspoon of liquid smoke to the sauce mixture. You can also replace the ketchup with 1/2 cup of store-bought barbecue sauce, or substitute the brown sugar with honey, maple syrup, or corn syrup. Using a mild beer for the barbecue sauce will add an interesting depth of flavor. To add more texture and some color, slice 1 green bell pepper into strips and scatter over the chops along with the onions.
- If you and the family enjoyed this recipe it may be worth trying a few similar ones. Herb and garlic pork chops combine pork chops with fresh garlic and parsley, sage, thyme, and rosemary. Another time-saving baked pork chop recipe is saucy baked pork chops with ranch sauce where ranch dressing mix and mustard add a delicious flavor. If you have some extra time, oven-barbecued pork chops with homemade sauce call for marinating the pork chops for about 4 hours before baking until fork-tender.