This is a favorite skillet chicken recipe, made with chicken pieces, paprika, sour cream, onions, and seasonings. Use whole legs or thighs, split chicken breasts, or a combination.
The chicken pieces are cooked in the skillet and then combine with onions and a tasty sour cream sauce. It's not only a simple recipe, it's easy on the budget! Serve the chicken with mashed potatoes or noodles and your family's favorite vegetables.
Related Recipe: Paprika Chicken Breasts with Sour Cream Gravy
- 3 to 3 1/2 pounds chicken pieces
- 1/3 cup flour
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 medium onions, halved and sliced
- 1 tablespoon sweet paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- parsley sprigs, optional
- Dredge the chicken pieces in flour; shake excess off of each piece and place on a plate. Reserve remaining flour; set aside.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large skillet over high heat. Working in batches if necessary, brown the chicken pieces on all sides. Remove the chicken to a plate.
- When all of the chicken has been browned, add the onions and reserved flour into the skillet drippings. Cook, for 2 to 3 minutes, stirring constantly. Add the paprika, salt, pepper, and chicken broth; stir to blend.
- Add the chicken back to the skillet. Reduce heat to medium-low and cover the pan. Simmer for 25 minutes, turning once, or until the chicken is tender and juices run clear when pierced with a fork. The minimum safe temperature for chicken is 165 F.
- Using tongs, remove chicken to a large serving tray or platter. Skim the fat from skillet and stir in sour cream. Heat through.
- To serve, spoon the sour cream sauce over chicken and garnish with parsley if desired.
Serves 4 to 6.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||39 g|
|Saturated Fat||12 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||15 g|
|Dietary Fiber||2 g|