Pineapple fried rice is one of the most well-known dishes in Thailand given the country's fresh pineapples and abundant seafood. In Thailand, the dish is usual served in the husk of the pineapple. This recipe differs from Chinese fried rice as it uses jasmine rather than regular long-grain rice.
An easy dish for busy weeknights, this classic fried rice comes together in about twelve minutes and packs all the flavor of your favorite restaurant version.
- 1 cup small cooked shrimp
- 8 Rings canned pineapple, drained
- 1/2 Carrot
- 1 Red bell pepper
- 1/2 Yellow onion, chopped
- 1 Green onion, white and green sections
- 1 to 2 tablespoons canned hot Japaleno peppers
- 2 tablespoons oil for stir-frying, or as needed
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon minced ginger
- 2 cups cold cooked rice (scented jasmine or basmati if possible)
- 1 to 2 tablespoons light soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon curry powder (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon sugar (or to taste)
- Optional garnishes: toasted coconut, crushed peanuts, and/or fresh mint sprigs or cilantro
- Cut the shrimp in half if desired. Cut the pineapple rings into wedges.
- Wash and grate the carrot. Wash the bell pepper, remove the seeds and cut into bite-sized chunks. Peel and chop the onion. Wash and finely chop the green onion. Chop the Jalapeno pepper.
- Heat a wok or frying pan over medium to medium-heat. Add the oil, rotating the pan so that it coats the bottom and sides.
- When the oil is hot, add the garlic, ginger and chopped Jalapenos. Stir-fry for 30 seconds, then add the onion. Stir-fry for 1 minute, then add the red bell pepper and the grated carrot. Add the pineapple and the shrimp. Stir-fry briefly.
- Add the rice, and cook for about 2 minutes, continually stirring and tossing until it becomes shiny. Stir in the soy sauce.
- Stir in the curry powder and sugar. Taste and adjust the seasoning if desired. Stir in the green onion or use as a garnish. Serve hot.
- Garnish with toasted coconut, crushed peanuts, and/or fresh mint sprigs or cilantro, as desired.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||3 g|
|Saturated Fat||0 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||0 g|
|Dietary Fiber||29 g|