These tasty pizza crostini appetizers are super easy to prepare with a loaf of French bread and pizza toppings. Feel free to vary the toppings on the crostini; omit the onion or use bell pepper or sausage in place of the pepperoni. If you have garlic flavored olive oil, omit the garlic halves.
You might also add a dab of pizza sauce to the crostini or serve them with hot prepared pizza sauce or marinara.
See the tips below the recipe for more topping ideas.
- 1 baguette, sliced about 1/2-inch thick
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, halved
- 2 plum tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup chopped pepperoni
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped onion
- 2 to 3 tablespoons sliced ripe olives
- 1 cup finely shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 to 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil or about 1 teaspoon dried leaf basil
- Heat oven to 375 F. Arrange the baguette slices on a baking sheet. Brush each slice with olive oil and rub with garlic halves.
- Combine the finely chopped tomato, pepperoni, and onion. Sprinkle the tomato mixture onto each slice. Top with a few slices of olive and sprinkle with basil. Top with mozzarella cheese. If the cheese shreds are large, chop a bit.
- Bake for about 10 minutes, until they are hot and the cheese has melted.
Makes 24 to 36 appetizers.
- Prepare some of the crostini with a simple garlic and Parmesan cheese topping. In a small bowl, combine 1/2 cup of fresh grated Parmesan cheese, 1 teaspoon of finely minced garlic, 2 tablespoons of butter, and 1/4 teaspoon of dried leaf basil or oregano. Mix well and spread over the baguette slices. Bake along with the pizza crostini. Makes enough for about half a baguette, depending on size.