Muffins are fun and easy to make. What's more, the kids can help with the mixing and put the batter into the tins. This recipe is so simple to make and the ingredients are easily found.
Yield: 1 dozen.
- 2 cups flour (all-purpose)
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 large egg (lightly beaten)
- 1 cup buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Grease a 12 cup muffin tin.
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar.
- In a small bowl, mix together the vegetable oil, vanilla, egg, and buttermilk.
- Add liquid ingredients to the bowl of dry ingredients. Quickly mix the ingredients altogether, making sure not to over mix.
- Fill each muffin cup two-thirds with the batter.
- Bake at 400 F for 20 minutes or until done. Let the muffins cool in the muffin tin for about 10 minutes. Lift muffins out with a spoon and serve with butter.
Muffin Baking Tips:
- Don't have buttermilk? Use this buttermilk substitute recipe instead.
- Make a baking powder substitute by combining 1 teaspoon baking soda and 2 teaspoons cream of tartar. This will replace the 1 tablespoon of baking powder called for in this recipe.
- Buy baking powder in small quantities if you do not bake a lot. Baking powder loses its potency over time.
- Use a spoon to get muffins out of the tin cups. If the muffins stick to the tin, run a butter knife along the sides of the muffins.
- Egg substitute can be used in place of the egg.
- There is a milk to dry milk powder conversion table. Use it to figure out how much dry milk to add to the water when replacing the milk in the recipe.
- Milk can be replaced with soy milk.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||7 g|
|Saturated Fat||2 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||4 g|
|Dietary Fiber||1 g|