Apples and pork go together beautifully, and this dish is no exception. Some molasses and vinegar add depth of flavor to the pork chops while raisins complement the apples nicely.
Feel free to make some changes to suit your family's tastes. Dried cranberries or chopped dried cherries make a delicious replacement for the raisins. Or omit the raisins if you'd like.
- 6 pork chops (about 3/4 to 1 inch)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt (plus more, to taste)
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper (or to taste)
- 3 tart apples (Granny Smith)
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 2/3 cups hot water
- 3 tablespoons molasses
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup raisins
- Heat the oven to 350 F (180 C/Gas 4).
- Sprinkle the pork chops with salt and black pepper.
- Heat vegetable oil and butter in a large heavy skillet or saute pan over medium heat.
- Add the pork chops to the skillet and cook for about 4 to 5 minutes on each side, or until browned.
- With slotted spoon or spatula, transfer the pork chops to a large shallow baking dish. If you are using an oven-safe skillet, remove the chops to a plate and set aside.
- Peel, core, and slice the apples, set aside.
- Add the flour to the drippings in the skillet. Add a little more butter or oil if there isn't enough to absorb the flour. Reduce the heat to medium-low and cook until the flour mixture is light brown, stirring constantly. Do not let the roux burn.
- Slowly add the hot water the flour mixture; cook, stirring, until the sauce is thickened and simmering.
- Whisk in the molasses and vinegar until well blended. Taste and add salt, as needed.
- Pour the sauce over the pork chops (if using an oven-safe skillet, return the pork chops to the sauce). Top the chops with the apple slices and raisins.
- Cover and bake for 1 hour.
- According to the USDA, the minimum safe temperature for pork is 145 F.
- If you're using thick, boneless pork chops in this dish, 1 hour of bake time should be perfect. If using thin pork chops, check them at about 35 to 45 minutes.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||30 g|
|Saturated Fat||10 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||12 g|
|Dietary Fiber||5 g|