|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Servings: 4 servings|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 40g||51%|
|Saturated Fat 13g||64%|
|Total Carbohydrate 125g||45%|
|Dietary Fiber 6g||20%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
This pork chop and rice casserole recipe is an easy baked one-dish meal your family will love. The pork chops are browned and then combined with the vegetables and the easy gravy sauce mixture over the rice. Add some steamed vegetables or spinach to the rice before baking for extra color and flavor.
If you're short on time, use two bags of hot microwaved Ready Rice, or use microwave steamed cauliflower rice (see the tips) for the rice layer to keep carbs at a minimum.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (divided)
- 1 medium carrot (diced)
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 ribs celery (sliced)
- 8 ounces mushrooms (sliced)
- 4 center cut loin pork chops (about 1-inch thickness—boneless or bone-in)
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 (1-ounce) envelope pork gravy mix
- 1 cup chicken stock (low sodium or unsalted)
- Optional: 3 cups hot cooked rice
Heat the oven to 325 F.
Lightly grease a shallow 2 1/2 to 3-quart casserole dish.
Put the butter and 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large skillet and place it over medium heat.
When the butter has melted, add the diced carrot, chopped onion, and sliced celery. Saute the vegetables while stirring frequently until the onions are translucent and the carrots are just tender. Add the mushrooms and cook, stirring, for about 3 to 4 minutes longer, or until they are golden brown. Remove the vegetables to a plate and set aside.
Add the remaining tablespoon of olive oil to the skillet and increase the heat to medium-high. Sprinkle the pork chops lightly with kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper and add them to the skillet. Cook for about 5 minutes on each side, or until nicely browned. Add the wine, gravy mix, and stock or water to the pan and stir to blend. Add the vegetables back to the skillet and continue cooking for 2 minutes, or until the sauce has thickened.
Spread the hot cooked rice in the prepared baking dish.
Arrange the pork chops and vegetables over the rice and pour the sauce over all.
Bake, uncovered, for 20 minutes, or until hot.
Serve the pork chops and rice with biscuits or dinner rolls and a tossed salad, if desired.
- Make this a low carb meal with cauliflower "rice." Grate 1 small to medium head of cauliflower with a food grater or with a food processor with the grater attachment. Discard the tough stems of the cauliflower. Put the "rice" in a microwave-safe bowl; toss with 1 tablespoon of olive oil or melted butter and cover the bowl with plastic wrap. Microwave on 100% power for about 3 minutes.
- Omit the wine and use 1/2 cup of apple cider or more stock or water.
- Use a can or jar of sliced mushrooms (drained) in place of the fresh mushrooms.
- Add 1 to 2 cups of steamed peas or green beans to the pork chops and sauce just before baking.