|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
Note that red and yellow bell peppers (sweet capsicums) were used. Any combination of red, yellow, and/or green bell peppers works just fine and makes a colorful presentation. Any firm white fish (such as halibut, grouper, or shark) may be substituted for the cod. This recipe is easily halved for an intimate dinner.
- 1 red, yellow, or green bell pepper (sweet capsicum), cored, seeded, and sliced into 1/2-inch strips
- 1 medium sweet onion, halved and sliced into 1/2-inch strips
- 10 whole cloves of garlic, peeled
- 1 Tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cups canned crushed tomatoes
- 12 kalamata olives
- 1/2 teaspoon Caribbean seasoning blend or lemon pepper
- 4 (about 5 ounces each) cod filets (see Notes)
- Kosher salt and black pepper to taste, optional
Over medium-low heat, saute bell peppers, onions, and whole garlic cloves in olive oil until vegetables are limp.
Add crushed tomatoes, olives, and seasoning or lemon pepper. Continue cooking until garlic cloves are easily pierced with a fork. Add a bit of water if the mixture becomes too dry.
Raise heat to medium. Add filets to the mixture. Saute until cod is cooked through and flakes easily with a fork. Season to taste with salt and pepper, if desired.
Serve cod filets with the Provencal sauce over the top.
Note: Any firm white fish may be substituted for the cod, such as halibut, grouper, or shark.