There's a lot of cooking to be done during Thanksgiving. If you want a simpler dessert, this recipe for Pumpkin Dump Cake is perfect for busy schedules. Just like the title says, all you have to do is gather your ingredients and "dump" them into a cake pan. Although this dessert is cut into squares, it’s really more of a “scooping” dessert, so you can squeeze out more servings than a traditional cake.
- 3 eggs
- 1 (15-ounce) can pumpkin
- 1 (12-ounce) can evaporated milk
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 box yellow cake mix (enough for a two-layer cake)
- 1 cup walnuts or pecans (lightly toasted)
- 3/4 cup butter (melted)
Gather the ingredients.
Preheat the oven to 350 F and lightly grease a 9x13-inch pan.
In a large bowl, add the eggs, pumpkin, evaporated milk, nutmeg, spices, salt, and granulated sugar.
Pour the filling into the prepared pan. Sprinkle the filling with the cake mix. Gently pat down the cake mix with a spoon. Don’t push so hard that the filling comes up through the dry cake mix.
Sprinkle the top with the nuts.
Completely drizzle the top with butter.
Bake the cake for 50 minutes.
Cool and cut the cake into squares for serving.
- You may substitute 4 teaspoons of Pumpkin Pie Spice, Apple Pie Spice or Mixed Spice instead of the individual spices.