These roasted potatoes are seasoned with garlic and a some dried leaf oregano. The potatoes are roasted to perfection. The recipe calls for vegetable oil, but use extra-virgin olive oil if you prefer that.
As far as seasonings go, there are plenty of alternatives to the recipe ingredients. Feel free to adjust the recipe to suit your taste. Take a look at the tips and variations for some additional ideas.
- 4 medium baking potatoes (about 1 1/2 pounds), unpeeled
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried leaf oregano or about 1 tablespoon of fresh chopped oregano leaves
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- Heat the oven to 400 F (200 C/Gas 6).
- Oil a large, rimmed baking pan. The pan should be large enough to hold the potato wedges in a single layer.
- Scrub the potatoes, pat them dry with paper towels, and cut them lengthwise into eight wedges.
- Arrange the potatoes in the prepared baking pan. Sprinkle with the garlic, vegetable oil, and the remaining seasonings. With your hands, toss and mix until the potatoes are thoroughly coated.
- Bake for about 45 minutes to 1 hour, turning and stirring every 15 to 20 minutes. The potatoes are ready when they are browned and they can be pierced easily with a fork.
Tips and Variations
- Rosemary-Garlic Roasted Potatoes: Omit the oregano and paprika and toss the potatoes with 1 1/2 tablespoons of fresh chopped rosemary and an additional clove of minced garlic.
- Replace the vegetable oil with olive oil, butter (melted), duck fat, or part bacon drippings.
- Herb-Roasted Potato Wedges With Lemon: Omit the oregano, garlic, and paprika and toss with 1 1/2 to 2 tablespoons of fresh chopped herbs (rosemary, marjoram, sage, thyme). Just before the potatoes are finished, add 2 tablespoons of fresh chopped parsley or chives and 1 tablespoon of lemon juice.
- Add about 1/2 cup of good quality Parmesan cheese to the potatoes along with the vegetable oil.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||7 g|
|Saturated Fat||1 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||5 g|
|Dietary Fiber||3 g|