Add a little spice to your cheese sauce. Sometimes, a hint of mustard can take a dish from boring to exciting. This easy cheese sauce recipe includes a little dry mustard and garlic powder for flavor. Use it as a sauce for vegetables or as a casserole sauce. Put some zing into your cheesy food.
For a richer sauce, use half-and-half or light cream.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Dash pepper
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup Cheddar cheese (sharp or mild)
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- Dash garlic powder
- In a small saucepan over medium-low heat, melt the butter.
- When the butter begins to foam, stir in flour; cook and stir for about 1 minute.
- Stir in salt and pepper.
- Gradually stir in milk.
- Cook over low heat, stirring constantly until the sauce has thickened.
- Add cheese, dry mustard, and garlic powder.
- Continue to cook and stir until cheese is melted.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||19 g|
|Saturated Fat||10 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||6 g|
|Dietary Fiber||1 g|