Why buy party nuts when you can make your own? Use a Cajun seasoning combination along with butter to make this easy roasted pecan snack. The nuts can be served as a party bite or be packaged up and given as gifts. Bundle them up in colored cellophane wrap tied with bows and place them in mugs, or simply pour the nuts into small decorative jelly jars.
There are many ways you can spruce up nuts at home. For instance, for a sweet nut to contrast these spiced pecans, try glazing your pecans: By cooking them in a brown sugar syrup, you'll create a delicious and crunchy treat. Over the holidays, candied pecans are the way to go, bringing in the extra flavors of cinnamon and vanilla.
There's no need to stick with just one nut, either. You can use mixed nuts for any of these ideas. Season some pecans, almonds, and peanuts with chili powder, garlic salt, and cayenne; it's fantastic.
For this recipe, you can create your own seasoning or choose a store-bought mix. You can also use a commercial seasoned salt blend. Get creative with whatever you have in the spice rack.
- For the Cajun Seasoning Blend:
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- For the Pecans:
- 5 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon butter ( melted)
- 4 cups pecans (halves)
- 1 teaspoon seasoning blend
Gather the ingredients.
Pre-heat oven to 325 F.
Combine spices in a small bowl to form Cajun seasoning blend; mix thoroughly. Set aside.
In a large, shallow roasting pan, combine the melted butter and pecans.
Roast in the oven for 15 minutes, stirring from time to time.
Sprinkle with seasoning and toast for about 15 minutes longer, stirring occasionally.
Cool thoroughly. Pack in airtight containers and store in a cool, dry place for up to 1 month.
- If you prefer, these nuts can be made in the slow cooker. Simply combine the ingredients, cover, and cook on high for 15 minutes. Turn the cooker down to low and cook uncovered for an additional 2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Almost any herbs and spices can be combined to create your very own seasoning blend. It's something you can make for a single batch of these snack nuts and give each batch a new twist. Once you find a personal favorite, mix up a larger amount of the seasoning. Store it with your spices so you can make these nuts whenever you like.