|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
This super easy skillet cabbage recipe is made with just a few seasonings and a little vinegar. This is an excellent side dish for a ham meal, or serve the easy cabbage with corned beef, pork roast or chops, or sausages. The combination of vinegar and a small amount of sugar gives the cabbage a sweet-sour taste.
This dish takes less than 30 minutes, start to finish.
Crumbled bacon would be delicious in this cabbage dish as well, or add a little leftover diced ham.
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt (see a quick homemade blend below)
- 1 medium head cabbage (coarsely shredded)
- 1/4 cup onion (chopped)
- 3 tablespoons vinegar
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
Gather the ingredients.
In a large skillet or sauté pan over medium heat, melt the butter.
Stir in the seasoned salt, cabbage, and onion.
Cook, covered, over medium heat for 15 minutes. Stir frequently.
Blend vinegar and sugar; add to cabbage mixture. Stir gently to blend ingredients.
Cook the cabbage for about 5 minutes longer, or to desired doneness.
Serve and enjoy!
- Serve this easy cabbage with braised or grilled sausages, pork chops, ham, or a pork roast. Add mashed or boiled potatoes and crusty bread for a satisfying family meal.
- Make a DIY seasoned salt blend. Combine 2 tablespoons of salt with 1 teaspoon of paprika, 1/4 teaspoon of onion powder, 1/4 teaspoon of ground black pepper, and a dash of garlic powder.
- Add cooked crumbled bacon to the cabbage or diced cooked and sauteed ham.
- Add 1/2 to 1 teaspoon of caraway seeds, if desired.