|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 36g||47%|
|Saturated Fat 13g||65%|
|Total Carbohydrate 19g||7%|
|Dietary Fiber 2g||8%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
Serve this easy slow-cooker turkey breast with potatoes and dressing for a tasty family dinner. Use a fully thawed turkey breast for the recipe, unstuffed, and cook it on your slow cooker's high setting. A tip is to use poultry shears and cut the backbone out of the turkey, so it'll lay flatter in the slow cooker and cook more evenly. Also, after the turkey was cooked, separate the juices in a gravy separator and make a gravy with the liquids. Use the remaining fat left in the gravy separator to baste the turkey under the broiler.
- 2 ribs celery (cut into 3-inch lengths)
- 2 carrots (cut into 3-inch lengths)
- 1 (4 to 5 pound) turkey breast (fully thawed or split turkey breast)
- 1/2 cup/4 ounces butter (melted)
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/2 to 1 cup turkey stock (or chicken stock, as needed)
Gather the ingredients.
Spray the crockpot with nonstick cooking spray.
Place the chunks of celery and carrots in the slow cooker. The vegetables will act as a rack.
Sprinkle salt and pepper over the turkey breast and arrange in a large slow cooker. Pour melted butter over the turkey.
Cover and cook on HIGH for about 5 to 6 hours, or until turkey is done and juices run clear when pierced with a knife. A boneless turkey breast might take less time, so check for doneness earlier.
To be sure the turkey is fully cooked, check the temperature with a reliable food thermometer. The minimum safe temperature for turkey and other poultry is 165 F.
Pour the juices from the slow cooker into a saucepan. Bring to boil slowly.
Combine the cornstarch and water together and then add to the saucepan.
Add some turkey or chicken stock, about 1/2 to 1 cup, depending on the amount of liquid left in the crockpot. Whisk over medium-low heat until smooth and thickened.
Serve the sliced turkey breast on a plate topped with the turkey gravy.
Glass Bakeware Warning
Do not use glass bakeware when broiling or when a recipe calls to add liquid to a hot pan, as glass may explode. Even if it states oven-safe or heat resistant, tempered glass products can, and do, break occasionally.
- Strain the liquids and pour into a gravy separator. Pour the juices into a saucepan and leave the excess fat behind.
- To brown the turkey skin after cooking, remove it from the slow cooker and place it in a foil-lined baking pan. Place it under the broiler and cook, turning the pan frequently, until the skin is lightly browned. Baste with the fat left from the gravy separator if desired.
- Replace the salt and pepper with this a lemon-herb mixture. In a small bowl, combine 1/2 teaspoon of dried crumbled rosemary, 1/2 teaspoon of dried leaf thyme, 1 teaspoon of fresh lemon zest, 1 teaspoon kosher salt, 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper, and 1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder.
- Sprinkle Cajun seasoning over the turkey breast. If the Cajun seasoning contains salt, omit additional salt.