|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 0g||0%|
|Saturated Fat 0g||0%|
|Total Carbohydrate 19g||7%|
|Dietary Fiber 1g||4%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
You can make this applesauce with light or dark brown sugar. and a mixture of apple varieties to add flavor.
The applesauce is super easy to fix, and you can choose to keep it a bit chunky or cook it longer and mash for a smoother mixture. Applesauce not only makes a delicious dessert, but the applesauce can also be used as an ingredient in many recipes. Try replacing one-third or one-half of the fat in quick bread or muffins with applesauce. You probably won't notice the difference.
Serve applesauce warm, cold, or room temperature with a dollop of frozen, thawed whipped topping or freshly whipped cream. It makes a delicious everyday dessert.
If you have the freezer space and a surplus of apples, double the recipe and freeze it. (There are freezing instructions below the recipe.)
Gather the ingredients.
Peel the apples, core them, and cut them into small chunks.
Combine the apples with the remaining ingredients in the crockery insert of the slow cooker.
Cover and cook on low for 7 to 9 hours.
Stir to blend and mash lightly, if desired.
Serve and enjoy!
- There are many apple varieties, and some are great for snacking while others are good for cooking or baking. For applesauce, some good choices are Cortland, Baldwin, Elstar, McIntosh, Fuji, Gravenstein, Granny Smith, Jonagold, Jonathan, and Northern Spy.
- The applesauce freezes well. Cool the applesauce in shallow containers in the refrigerator and then pack it in freezer containers, with 1 inch of headspace. Leave at least 1 1/2 inches if using canning jars.
- Use half pears in the recipe. Core, peel, and cut into chunks.
- Use 7 apples and 3 cups of fresh sliced (1-inch) rhubarb, and increase the sugar to 3/4 cup.
- Use 8 apples and 2 cups of fresh cranberries and increase the sugar to 3/4 cup.
- Add 1 tablespoon of freshly grated ginger or 2 teaspoons of ground ginger.