|Nutrition Facts (per serving)|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 23g||29%|
|Saturated Fat 12g||60%|
|Total Carbohydrate 44g||16%|
|Dietary Fiber 2g||7%|
|Total Sugars 29g|
|Vitamin C 51mg||256%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
This recipe for easy strawberry shortcake is a great dessert any time of the year. And it only uses three main ingredients, along with confectioners' sugar and a little vanilla, so it couldn't be simpler to make.
Use your favorite store-bought frozen pound cake instead of shortcake. A shortcake biscuit, which is a lightly sweetened biscuit, is classic with strawberries and cream. But if you want a quick and informal take on the classic then pound cake is the way to go. It has the perfect soft and velvety texture to melt in your mouth along with the tender strawberries and billowing whipped cream.
Gather the ingredients.
Put half of the sliced strawberries into a large bowl. Using a potato masher or fork, mash until they are broken down, but still in discrete pieces.
Stir remaining sliced strawberries into mashed strawberries and taste. If strawberries aren't sweet or tart enough for your taste, add some sugar or some lemon juice. Then cover bowl and chill berries in refrigerator.
In a medium bowl, beat cream with confectioners' sugar and vanilla. For best results, chill bowl and beaters before starting, and make sure that the cream is very cold.
When ready to serve, slice pound cake into 6 even pieces and place each piece on a serving plate. Top with strawberry mixture and a dollop of whipped cream.
Top with some fresh mint or a small, whole, perfect strawberry.
- Make sure the pound cake is thawed ahead of time.
- You can also make the whipped cream ahead of time; just store it, well covered, in the fridge.
- Cornstarch in the confectioners' sugar helps stabilize the cream so it will keep its peak for a few hours.
- You also can make this wonderful dessert with raspberries and blueberries. In fact, that would make the recipe more patriotic-looking!
- Just make sure that you use the best fruits you can find in the supermarket. The berries should be plump and firm and shiny, with no soft spots.