This recipe for easy strawberry shortcake is a great dessert any time of the year. And it only uses 3 main ingredients, along with confectioners' sugar and a little vanilla, so it couldn't be simpler to make.
Use your favorite store-bought frozen pound cake instead of shortcake. A shortcake biscuit, which is a lightly sweetened biscuit, is classic with strawberries and cream. But if you want a quick and informal take on the classic then pound cake is the way to go. It has the perfect soft and velvety texture to melt in your mouth along with the tender strawberries and billowing whipped cream.
Gather the ingredients.
Put half of the sliced strawberries into a large bowl. Using a potato masher, mash half of the strawberries until they are broken down but are still in discrete pieces.
Stir the remaining sliced strawberries into the mashed strawberries and taste the mixture. If the strawberries aren't sweet or tart enough for your taste, you can add some sugar or some lemon juice. Then cover the bowl and chill the berries in the refrigerator.
In a medium bowl, beat the cream with the confectioners' sugar and vanilla. For best results, chill the bowl and the beaters before you start, and make sure that the cream is very cold.
When you're ready to serve, slice the pound cake into 6 even pieces and place each piece on a serving plate. Top with the strawberry mixture and a dollop of whipped cream.
Top with some fresh mint if you'd like, or a small, whole, perfect strawberry.
Serve this dessert immediately.
- Make sure the pound cake is thawed ahead of time.
- You can also make the whipped cream ahead of time; just store it, well covered, in the fridge.
- Cornstarch in the confectioners' sugar helps stabilize the cream so it will keep its peak for a few hours.
- You also can make this wonderful dessert with raspberries and blueberries. In fact, that would make the recipe more patriotic-looking!
- Just make sure that you use the best fruits you can find in the supermarket. The berries should be plump and firm and shiny, with no soft spots.