Think spring and summer with this delicious strawberry shortcut cake. The shortcut is in the simple cake mix base, and fresh strawberries make it taste and look completely homemade. The one-layer cake is baked and then inverted to reveal the strawberry and marshmallow topping. This strawberry cake is an excellent way to elevate a cake mix.
Top it off with a dollop of whipped cream and some fresh sliced strawberries for garnish. This is an excellent cake to bake and share with friends and family!
- 2 1/2 cups miniature marshmallows
- 2 pints strawberries (about 24 ounces)
- 1 (3-ounce) package strawberry gelatin
- 1 box white or yellow cake mix (2-layer size with oil, water, and eggs per package instructions)
- Heat oven to 350 F.
- Generously grease a 9-by-13-by-2-inch baking pan.
- Sprinkle the miniature marshmallows evenly over the bottom of the pan.
- Rinse and hull the strawberries; slice or chop them coarsely.
- Put the strawberries in a bowl and mash them; you should have about 3 cups of mashed strawberries. Add the gelatin to the strawberries; stir and set aside.
- Prepare the cake batter following the package directions.
- Spread the cake batter over marshmallows in pan. Spoon the strawberry and gelatin mixture evenly over the batter.
- Bake at 350 F for 35 to 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Place the cake on a wire rack to cool. If desired, invert the cake onto a platter or foil-covered cardboard.
- Cut the cake into squares and serve with whipped cream or whipped topping.
- Makes about 16 to 20 servings.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||0 g|
|Saturated Fat||0 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||0 g|
|Dietary Fiber||1 g|