|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Servings: 1 pie (6 servings)|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 39g||49%|
|Saturated Fat 21g||105%|
|Total Carbohydrate 37g||13%|
|Dietary Fiber 5g||16%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
Classic cottage pie is one the quickest and easiest supper dishes. This easy sweet potato cottage pie recipe, however, rings the changes and gives a variation on the classic which is suitable for those on a low carb diet or only wanting to cut down on potatoes and the like.
- 2 lb./ 900 g. peeled sweet potato (cut into large cubes)
- 6 tbsp. milk
- 1 stick/110 g. butter (cubed)
- Salt and ground black pepper
- 1/2 tbsp. lard or dripping
- 1 cup/115 g. chopped onion
- 1 cup/115 g. chopped carrot
- 1 clove garlic (minced)
- 2 cups/450 g. ground minced beef
- 1 pint/600 mL beef stock
- 1 cup/115 g. chopped white mushrooms
- 2 tbsp. finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1 cup/115 g. grated cheddar cheese
Heat the oven to 375 F/190 C/Gas 5.
Place the sweet potatoes into the pan of cold water, bring to the boil and cook until soft. Once cooked drain through a colander.
Place the milk and butter in the pan used to boil the potatoes, return to the heat and warm gently until the butter has melted. Add the sweet potatoes and mash into the butter and milk to create a creamy mash. Taste and season, then keep to one side.
Melt the lard or dripping in a large deep pan. Add the onion and carrot and fry gently for 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for another minute, taking care not to burn the garlic.
Add the minced beef and one-third of the beef stock to the onion and carrot mixture and cook, stirring constantly until all the meat is browned.
Add the remaining stock, parsley and mushrooms, season with salt and pepper. Cover with a lid and cook for 15 minutes.
Remove the lid and cook uncovered for 10 minutes to reduce the sauce slightly.
Place the meat sauce into an 8"/ 20 cm by 3"/7 cm deep ceramic or glass ovenproof dish and cover with the sweet mashed potatoes.
Sprinkle the grated cheese potato on top and bake in the heated oven for 30 to 35 mins until the surface is crisp and browned. Remove the pie from the oven and leave to stand for 5 minutes before serving. The pie is lovely with a bowl of buttered peas.
- The sweet potatoes bring, unsurprisingly, a sweetness to the pie which matches so well with the meat and gravy of the filling. You can also use a mixture of swede and carrot which brings the same benefits to those wanting a low carb approach, and also brings extra flavor and a slightly different texture.