For a delicious vegetarian Thai salad, try my easy Thai Cucumber Salad. This salad achieves all of the flavor and taste of non-vegetarian Cucumber Salad without resorting to using fish sauce or shrimp paste, plus it's virtually fat-free! Note that for this recipe you'll need to scout out a bottle of Golden Mountain Sauce, available at any reputable Asian or Chinese food store (look for it in a tall bottle next to the fish sauce). Like soy sauce, Thai Golden Mountain Sauce is made from fermented soybeans, which makes it suitable for both vegetarian and vegan diets (for more on this sauce see link below). ENJOY!
- 1 English Cucumber (peeled)
- 1 red bell pepper (diced)
- 3 green onions (thinly sliced)
- 1 loose cup fresh coriander/cilantro (lightly chopped)
- 1/2 loose cup fresh basil (lightly chopped)
- 1/4 cup dry roasted peanuts (lightly ground or chopped)
- For the Dressing:
- 1 tablespoon lime juice (juice of 1/2 large lime)
- 1 Tbsp. Golden Mountain Sauce (or soy sauce)
- 1-2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 Tbsp. soy sauce
- 1-2 tsp. Thai chili sauce (or 1/4 to 1/2 tsp. dried crushed chili (from the spice aisle))
- 1 1/2-2 tsp. white sugar
For more on buying and using Golden Mountain Sauce, see Golden Mountain Sauce.
- Cut cucumber in half lengthwise, then continues slicing lengthwise until you have about 8 long strips. Now slice strips the other way to create bite-size rectangular chunks. Place in a salad bowl.
- Add prepared red pepper, green onion, fresh herbs, and peanuts to the salad bowl.
- Combine the dressing ingredients together in a cup, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Taste-test for a sweet-sour balance, adding more sugar if it's too sour for your taste. Tip: Note that the dressing will taste quite salty and pungent now, but will be perfect once it is combined with the salad.
- Pour dressing over the salad and toss well to combine. Taste-test the salad, adding more chili sauce or dried crushed chili if you'd like it spicier.
- To serve, transfer the salad to a serving platter or bowl. Top with a little more coriander, basil, and peanuts. Serve immediately, or cover and refrigerate for up to 3 hours. This salad is best eaten up the same day you make it. ENJOY!
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||11 g|
|Saturated Fat||2 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||5 g|
|Dietary Fiber||14 g|