This is one of those recipes that came about when I had very little food on hand and didn't feel like making a trip to the store! The result of my bare refrigerator was a simple carrot dish with a Thai peanut sauce. I find it quite filling as a side dish, but you could also pair it with a Thai curry or a whole grain for a full meal.
- 3 tbsp oil
- 3 tbsp water (or veggie broth, + 2 tbsp)
- 1/2 yellow or white onion, chopped
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 3 tbsp Thai peanut sauce (or salad dressing)
- 1 tbsp vinegar (white or apple cider)
- 1 tbsp lime juice (lime is better, but lemon may be substituted)
- 2 cups chopped carrots
- Optional: 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- In a small bowl, mix together the peanut sauce, soy sauce, vinegar, 2 tablespoons of water or broth and lime juice and set aside.
- Sautee the onion in 3 tablespoons oil and 3 tablespoons broth or water until slightly soft.
- Add carrots, cover, and simmer 3-5 minutes. Reduce heat, add the sauce mix, cover and simmer another 5 to 7 minutes until carrots are soft, stirring frequently.
- Add sesame seeds and cook one more minute, if desired. Serve over rice or other grain if desired, and enjoy!
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||3 g|
|Saturated Fat||0 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||1 g|
|Dietary Fiber||6 g|