This easy tomato bisque is a semi-homemade soup, made with canned tomatoes and a variety of vegetables. Serve this tomato soup in a cup or bowl along with sandwiches or salad for lunch, or make it part of a special dinner.
Easy Creamy Tomato Soup
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3/4 cup onions (chopped)
- 1 large baking potato (peeled and diced, about 1 1/2 cups)
- 4 chicken bouillon cubes (or equivalent granules or chicken base)
- 3 1/2 cups water
- 1 small bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon dried leaf basil
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cans (14.5 ounces each) tomatoes with juice
- 4 tablespoons tomato paste (1/4 cup)
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons parsley (minced)
- Melt butter in a large saucepan; add the chopped onion to the saucepan. Sauté the onion for 5 minutes over medium heat until tender.
- Add diced potatoes, bouillon or base, water, bay leaf, basil, and pepper. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Add tomatoes with juices, tomato paste, and sugar. Stir well. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Remove the bay leaf.
- Pureé the soup in a blender in small batches until smooth.
- Ladle the soup into cups or bowls and top with minced fresh parsley just before serving.
- Serve the soup with shaved Parmesan as a garnish, or top it with seasoned croutons or crumbled bacon. Shredded cheddar cheese would be good as well.
- Don't fill the blender more than about on-third full with hot soup. Place a folded towel over the lid of the blender and hold it down firmly when you process the hot soup.
You Might Also Like
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||5 g|
|Saturated Fat||3 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||1 g|
|Dietary Fiber||3 g|