|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
Warm, comforting and hearty, this tuna and potato bake recipe is so easy to make with packaged scalloped potatoes and canned tuna. You can also swap the canned tuna for salmon.
- 1 package (about 5 ounces) scalloped potatoes
- 1 medium onion (thinly sliced)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1/4 cups milk
- 2 cans (approx. 7 ounces each) tuna (drained and flaked)
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup Cheddar cheese (grated)
- 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 teaspoon prepared mustard
- Optional: dash ground paprika
Prepare scalloped potatoes for baking, following package directions, adding onions. Arrange in a 2-quart casserole and bake at the temperature indicated on the package for 20 to 25 minutes, or until hot and potatoes are just tender.
In a saucepan over low heat, melt butter. Stir in flour, salt, and pepper. Gradually stir in milk. Cook, stirring constantly, until thickened and smooth. Fold in drained tuna.
Pour tuna sauce mixture over the potatoes. Combine mayonnaise, cheese, hot sauce, and mustard; spread over tuna layer.
Return the casserole to the oven. Bake, uncovered, for 10 to 15 minutes longer, until hot and bubbly. If desired, sprinkle with paprika before serving.