This is a simple turkey and rice casserole, and it is an excellent way to use leftover turkey. If you happen to have leftover turkey gravy, add some to the sauce mixture.
The condensed soup makes the recipe an easy and convenient one-dish meal. Use cream of celery or cream of mushroom soup.
You could also top this easy casserole with some shredded cheddar cheese just before it's done baking. See more add-in ideas and variations below the recipe.
- 2 cups cooked turkey, diced
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 1/4 cup finely chopped green pepper
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 can (3 to 4 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained, optional
- 1 can (10 3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup or cream of celery
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder, or to taste
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350°. Combine all ingredients in a large bowl.
- Spoon the mixture into a greased 1 1/2-quart casserole dish; cover and bake 30 to 40 minutes, until bubbly.
- For additional color and flavor, add 1 small jar of drained and diced pimiento or a few tablespoons of finely chopped red bell pepper.
- For a buttered bread crumb topping, combine 1 cup of soft fine bread crumbs with 2 tablespoons of melted butter. Sprinkle over the casserole before baking.
- Make the casserole with diced cooked chicken instead of turkey.
- Add a few tablespoons of bacon.
- Top the casserole with toasted slivered almonds just before it's done..
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||39 g|
|Saturated Fat||10 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||13 g|
|Dietary Fiber||4 g|