|Nutrition Facts (per serving)|
|Servings: 4 to 6|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 11g||15%|
|Saturated Fat 4g||22%|
|Total Carbohydrate 35g||13%|
|Dietary Fiber 5g||18%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
Cabbage rolls are one of my all-time favorite comfort foods, and it was always a very special family meal when my mother served them. The most time-consuming prep steps are avoided with this easy skillet version of the dish. There's no need to fuss with whole cabbage leaves and the task of stuffing them. If you crave cabbage rolls but don't have the time, try this delicious skillet recipe.
- 1 to 1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef (at least 85% lean)
- 1 large onion (chopped)
- 1/2 medium head of cabbage, about 1 pound (shredded or chopped)
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) stewed tomatoes
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon sugar (or to taste)
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 3/4 cup water
- 3/4 cup long-grain white rice
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Place a large, deep skillet or saute pan (or Dutch oven) over medium heat. When the pan is hot, add about 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil or butter and then add the ground beef. Break up the beef with a spatula and cook, stirring, for about 2 to 3 minutes. Add the onion and continue cooking, stirring, until the beef is no longer pink and the onion is translucent.
Add the cabbage to the ground beef mixture along with the stewed tomatoes, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, sugar, and vinegar. Cook, stirring, for about 5 minutes or until the cabbage is slightly wilted.
Add the water and rice to the beef and cabbage mixture. Reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer until the rice is tender, or about 20 to 25 minutes. Add more water, if needed.
Taste and add salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste.
- This slow cooker beef and cabbage dinner is another excellent option for a busy day.
- Add 1 cup of instant brown rice with 1 cup of water in place of the white rice and 3/4 cup of water.
- Add 1/2 to 1 cup of diced green bell pepper to the beef and onion mixture.
- Add a pinch of cinnamon to the tomato mixture.
- When the dish is finished cooking, top it with about 1 cup of shredded cheese, cover the pan, and cook for a few minutes longer, or just long enough to melt the cheese.