Who doesn't love French toast? Eating vegan doesn't mean you have to give up French toast - try making it egg-free instead! You can also use gluten-free bread for a gluten-free and vegan dish, if needed.
This easy egg-free vegan French toast recipe uses bananas instead of eggs, giving it a sweet flavor. And, by using bananas instead of eggs, you don't need to use a commercial egg replacer, so this is a great recipe if you don't happen to have any on hand. French toast is also great for any vegan brunch (or vegan BRINNER!) menu.
Many people like to use a thickly sliced whole grain bread when making French toast, but this recipe works well with just about any kind you choose. Also note that the recipe calls for pumpkin pie spice, which is a great chef's "secret ingredient" in making homemade French toast, though a little bit of cinnamon is probably enough, and is what most recipes call for. But, as a vegan cook, you may like to make vegan recipes, such as this one, stand out just a little bit, and, if so, then the usual cinnamon is simply not enough! Try the pumpkin pie spice if you have it, and, if you don't, then try adding just a dash of nutmeg.
If you're a vegan French toast lover, but you're feeling a bit more adventurous and want something beyond this basic recipe, you might be interested in trying some homemade vegan crepes, or these crowd-pleasing vegan blueberry pancakes.
- 2-3 ripe bananas
- 3/4 cup soy milk (or another non-dairy milk substitute)
- 1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. pumpkin pie spice (optional)
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 8-10 slices of bread bread (any kind is fine)
- First, blend together the bananas with the soy milk, cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice and vanilla in a blender or food processor. Next, pour this banana mixture into a pie plate or a wide and flat dish that you can dip your bread into.
- Next, pre-heat your skillet or frying pan to a medium-high heat.
- Gently dip each bread slice into the prepared soy milk and banana mix, carefully coating both sides of each slice of bread.
- Melt a bit of vegan margarine in your pre-heated medium-hot skillet and fry each slice of bread until lightly golden brown on each side. I also like using coconut oil for cooking French toast, as the aroma is simply heavenly.
- Serve your homemade vegan French toast topped off with a bit of maple syrup or a delicious blueberry sauce or simply a bit of vegan butter and fruit slices - whatever you'd like! And, as always, enjoy your wonderful homemade vegan French toast!
Recipe note: All of the ingredients in this recipe are gluten-free, except for the bread, of course. But you can prepare it just fine for your gluten-free friends if you use a gluten-free bread. Enjoy!
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||0 g|
|Saturated Fat||0 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||0 g|
|Dietary Fiber||2 g|