|Nutrition Facts (per serving)|
|Servings: 8 to 10|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 3g||3%|
|Saturated Fat 1g||3%|
|Total Carbohydrate 24g||9%|
|Dietary Fiber 2g||7%|
|Total Sugars 7g|
|Vitamin C 3mg||16%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
French toast is a classic breakfast and brunch food that is made with eggs and milk, but if you're eating vegan it doesn't mean you have to give up this tasty breakfast treat. This easy egg-free vegan French toast recipe uses bananas instead of eggs (or a commercial egg replacer), giving it a sweet flavor—and a nutritional boost.
It's best to use a whole grain bread or challah when making French toast as it is sturdy and won't become soggy. This recipe calls for pumpkin pie spice—the combination of warm spices adds a wonderful flavor to the French toast—but if you don't have any, a little bit of cinnamon will work well.
Gather the ingredients.
Pour the banana mixture into a pie plate or a wide, shallow dish that you can dip your bread into.
Preheat a skillet or frying pan over medium-high heat; gently dip each bread slice into the batter, carefully coating both sides of each slice of bread. Do not let the bread sit or else the French toast will be soggy.
Melt a bit of vegan margarine in the skillet and fry each slice of bread until lightly golden brown on each side.
Serve the homemade vegan French toast topped with a bit of maple syrup and sliced bananas. Enjoy.
- You can use gluten-free bread to make this a gluten-free and vegan dish.
- You can prepare the batter beforehand and place it in the refrigerator for a day or so, but keep in mind that the mixture can darken due to the bananas turning black.
- It is best to use either a dense type of bread or thick slices; a thin, delicate bread will absorb too much of the banana-milk mixture, and the French toast will become limp and soggy.
- It's important to heat the pan before adding the vegan butter to prevent the French toast from sticking.
- If making in batches, keep the French toast warm in a low oven.
- Switch from soy milk to your favorite non-dairy milk substitute.
- Instead of pumpkin pie spice, use 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon.
- Replace the vegan margarine with coconut oil when cooking the French toast.