When it comes to this vegan nutritional yeast pasta recipe, it's easy and it's quick, its vegetarian and vegan and it's tasty, but it's sure not fancy. It's not quite macaroni and cheese, but if you're craving mac and cheese, this is the quick and easy vegan way to satisfy that craving: a simple dish of pasta in a white sauce or a roux, made with soy milk, flour and oil, and with plenty of cheesy flavor from the nutritional yeast.
Add in a bit of garlic powder, onion powder or extra salt if you taste this nutritional yeast pasta recipe and think a little something is still missing. Or, spruce it up with some frozen peas, fresh broccoli, a handful of spinach or chopped tomatoes. If you're not worried about fat, add in about a tablespoon of vegan margarine or vegan cream cheese for a thicker and creamier sauce.
- 1 cup pasta (pre-cooked)
- 1 tbsp. oil (olive oil is best, but any kind is fine)
- 1 tsp. flour
- 2/3 cup soy milk
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- Optional: 1/2 tsp. mustard
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- Salt (to taste)
- Gather the ingredients.
- First, cook your pasta according to the package instructions. Prepare the sauce while your pasta is cooking.
- Heat the oil over low heat then stir in flour to make a paste.
- Slowly add in the soy milk and heat, stirring frequently, until almost thickened.
- Then stir in the nutritional yeast, mustard, garlic and salt.
- Allow to heat for just a minute or two, then stir in cooked pasta. Adjust seasonings to taste.
- Serve in bowls.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|