|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Servings: 12 Pancakes (12 Servings)|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 4g||5%|
|Saturated Fat 0g||2%|
|Total Carbohydrate 8g||3%|
|Dietary Fiber 1g||3%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
This vegan pancake recipe calls for ingredients you might have at hand at home and requires very little time to make. While you brew your morning coffee, the batch will be ready! It uses soy milk (or any other vegan milk substitute) as the liquid and the result is a batch of perfectly light and fluffy pancakes. Coconut milk gives a creamier texture, while almond or cashew milk adds a nutty flavor.
You can cook the pancakes in vegan margarine for a really decadent treat; our favorite vegan butter substitute is Earth Balance, but vegetable oil works well. Choose an oil that doesn't add too much to the flavor (like hazelnut or avocado), unless using coconut oil which will fill the pancakes with an amazing taste of coconut and a beautiful golden color.
- 1 cup flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup soy milk (or any other vegan milk substitute)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Optional: 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar
- Optional: sliced strawberries, chopped almonds, blueberries, chopped walnuts, coconut sugar
Gather the ingredients.
Sift the flour to bring in more air and combine with sugar, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl until well mixed.
Mix in the soy milk or milk substitute of choice and oil and beat together until batter is smooth. If choosing to use the apple cider vinegar tablespoon remember to remove one tablespoon of the milk substitute before adding it to the mix to avoid a runny batter.
Drop 1/4 cup of batter at a time onto a hot oiled griddle or a well greased frying pan over medium-high heat.
When bubbles appear on the surface of the pancake, approximately 3 minutes, flip and cook the other side for another 2 minutes.
Serve with your favorite toppings and enjoy!
- If you want something beyond the basic vegan pancakes, consider vegan blueberry pancakes or a sweet vegan pancake recipe with strawberries. If you're in the mood for something different, indulge in vegan apple pecan pancakes.
- You could also substitute one tablespoon of the cup of milk for a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar for an even fluffier result. The baking soda reacts to the moisture (soy milk) and to the acid (vinegar) releasing carbon dioxide, which will create more air bubbles in your batter and as a result a very light pancake. This is a trick that many vegan bakers use to help cakes and muffins rise and be lighter and fluffier.
- You can also add vegan chocolate chips, nut butters, other preserves, or a generous scoop of vegan ice-cream for the grand finale to a Sunday brunch.
- You can make and freeze a few batches of these pancakes for a quick home-made breakfast, or keep in the fridge for three days.
- If you prefer savory toppings you can also make some scrambled tofu to go with your pancakes, or slice some avocado, chop cilantro, squeeze lime juice and sprinkle with Himalayan salt. Pack with syrup and fruit for a breakfast-for-lunch at the office or school!