An easy vegan pasta puttanesca recipe, and low-fat, too! Pasta puttanesca is a low-fat pasta sauce recipe with capers, kalamata olives and red pepper flakes in a sauce similar to a marinara sauce. If you aren't eating vegan, you could, of course, topped this off with some fresh shaved Parmesan cheese, but I think you'll find this recipe is delicious on its own and you don't even want the Parmesan topping.
This Italian pasta puttanesca recipe is both vegetarian, vegan and gluten-free (though of course, regular pasta is not gluten-free so pair the puttanesca sauce with a gluten-free alternative). Scroll down for more vegetarian pasta recipes to try.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil (chopped)
- 2 tablespoons capers
- 1/4 cup sliced kalamata olives
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (or to taste)
- Dash salt (or to taste)
- Dash pepper (or to taste)
- 1 tablespoon olive brine
- 1 14-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 pound dried pasta (of your choice)
- Sautee the garlic in olive oil for a minute or two.
- Add the basil, capers, olives and red pepper flakes, and cook for another two minutes.
- Reduce heat to low, and add the brine and tomatoes.
- Cover and simmer for at least fifteen minutes. Serve hot over cooked pasta.
If you like pasta puttanesca, you might also like these other vegetarian and vegan pasta recipes:
- Vegan Tofu Spinach Lasagna Recipe
- Three Bean Pasta with Creamy Spinach Sauce
- Vegan Pesto Recipe
- Cold Chinese Sesame Noodles
- Vegetarian Pasta Salad with Asparagus
- Thai Peanut Sauce
- Low Fat Vegan Eggplant Lasagna Recipe
- Vegan Pasta e Fagioli
- Easy Two Cheese Pasta Sauce
- Vegan Artichoke Pesto Recipe
- Crock Pot Tofu and Spinach Lasagna
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||6 g|
|Saturated Fat||1 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||3 g|
|Dietary Fiber||5 g|