Forget measuring oil and cracking eggs with a cake mix- all you need to do is follow this two-minute foolproof low-fat and cholesterol-free vegan cake mix recipe. If you've got a cake mix and a bottle of soda, you've got a vegan cake in the oven in just a couple minutes. As long as your cake mix is vegan, of course—just read the label. Egg-free and dairy-free vegan cake just doesn't get any quicker than this.
Note that you will need ten ounces of cola for this recipe, whereas most bottles and cans come in twelve-ounce portions. Open up the can or bottle, take a couple of sips, and you'll be at close to ten ounces.
Looking for another vegan cake recipe? There are dozens more of vegan cake recipes to try. Or, if you need more ideas for what vegans can do with a box of cake mix, try Halloween or Thanksgiving-perfect vegan pumpkin cake mix cookie, made using vegan spice cake mix and pumpkin. Try out basic vegan cake mix cookies, or impress your friends with a vegan pineapple upside-down "dump" cake.
You won't believe how quick and how easy this cake recipe is.
- 1 box cake mix (any flavor; Duncan Hines brand is usually vegan, otherwise, read ingredients)
- 10 ounces of cola (any flavor, not diet)
In a bowl, mix together cake mix and soda.
Pour into greased cake pan.
Bake according to directions on the box.
That's it! Enjoy!
- For a chocolate cake, use a dark soda, like Coke or Pepsi. For a yellow cake or spice cake, use a light soda like Sprite or 7-up.
- In our experience, this cake tends to be a little bit softer and crumblier than other vegan cake recipes. It's not a problem, but it does mean that this cake should not be used for a multi-layer cake. It's best as a single layer or a sheet cake.
- Similarly, be very gentle when frosting this cake, as it is a bit delicate. Use a liquid glaze that you can pour or drizzle over the top (rather than spread), or just omit the frosting altogether and sprinkle powdered sugar on top of your vegan cake.
- When it comes to looking for a vegan cake mix to use, Duncan Hines is your friend. You should always read the label to be sure, as companies often change their recipes or have different regional varieties, but many Duncan Hines cake mixes are vegan, including the Devil's Food cake mix and Classic Yellow cake mix.
- Duncan Hines White Cake, Dark Chocolate Fudge, and Spice Cake are usually vegan and each would work well in this recipe.