Seitan is a popular vegetarian meat substitute that has been eaten in Asian countries for generations. There are countless ways to use seitan, just like you can eat meat in numerous ways. If you think of all kinds of meat preparations, from a steak to strips for fajitas, to stir-fried, you can do just about anything with seitan, too. There are also so many ways to cook it. You can grill seitan, pan fry it, deep fry it, slow cook it, and more. If you're new to cooking with seitan, here are some easy vegetarian and vegan seitan recipes for you to try. If you are used to cooking with seitan, these recipes may inspire you in a new direction.
Vegetarian and Vegan Seitan Recipes
All the recipes here are vegetarian and some are even vegan.
- Seitan and Roasted Veggie Tacos: Seitan is paired with roasted vegetables and seasoned well with chipotle, cumin, and chili powder and stuffed into tortillas for tasty tacos.
- Meaty Sauteed Seitan: Seitan is sauteed in a mixture of barbecue sauce and vinegar for a meaty flavor. Use the sauteed seitan for sandwiches, burritos, or anything else.
- Vegetarian Crockpot Chow Mein with Seitan: This Chinese chow mein recipe with seitan is a vegetarian crock pot recipe that you can prepare in the morning and leave in the crock pot all day. Feel free to add cashews during the last few minutes of cooking for a crunchy kick.
- Vegetarian Southern Fried "Chicken": This recipe isn't healthy by any means, but it sure is good! Deep fried seitan and a blend of spices create a dish that's really quite similar in appearance and taste to fried chicken.
- Chinese-style Stir Fry with Seitan and Hoisin Sauce: Using hoisin sauce is a great way to quickly add flavor to a simple stir-fry. This stir-fry recipe calls for seitan, broccoli, and bell peppers, but use your favorite veggies if you prefer.
- Vegetarian "Beef" and Guinness Stew: Irish beef and Guinness stew, a popular Irish pub meal, gets a makeover in this recipe. Using seitan instead of beef for a vegetarian twist.
- Vegan Pho with Seitan: The most popular Vietnamese dish, a noodle bowl called "pho," gets a meaty vegetarian makeover in this vegan recipe for pho with seitan.
- Thai Massaman Curry with Seitan: Chinese five-spice powder spices up this unique Thai curry with seitan, potatoes, and peanuts. There's nothing else quite like it!
- Crockpot Seitan Stew: If you like a traditional meat and potatoes stew, try this vegetarian version with seitan. It's got the same flavor but is lower in fat and cholesterol-free.
- Vegan Seitan au Jus: A savory recipe perfect for making meat-free sandwiches. Make these on game day for a crowd.
- Spicy Seitan Buffalo Wings: Seitan, fried in spices and coated in the hot sauce, makes for a vegetarian and vegan substitute for traditional pub buffalo wings.
- Curried Grilled Seitan Kabobs: A vegetarian and vegan barbecue recipe, perfect for your summer or holiday cookout. This seitan recipe is also Indian-inspired, with a strong curry flavor.
- Barbecue Tandoori Seitan: There's nothing like slow-cooked Indian tandoori! This vegetarian and vegan recipe uses seitan and soy yogurt for a barbecued version you can make on your outdoor grill. Barbecued tandoori-style seitan makes for an unusual dish to bring to a barbecue or a picnic.
- Easy Seitan "Hot Wings": An easy seitan recipe with a touch of sweetness and lots of spice!