Seitan is a popular vegetarian meat substitute that has been eaten in Asian countries for generations. There are countless ways to use seitan, just like you can eat meat in numerous ways. If you think of all kinds of meat preparations, from steak to strips for fajitas, to stir-fried, you can do just about anything with seitan, too. There are also so many ways to cook it. You can grill seitan, pan fry it, deep fry it, slow cook it, and more. If you're new to cooking with seitan, here are some easy vegetarian and vegan seitan recipes for you to try. If you are used to cooking with seitan, these recipes may inspire you in a new direction.
Vegetarian and Vegan Seitan Recipes
All the recipes here are vegetarian and some are even vegan.
- Seitan and Roasted Veggie Tacos: Seitan is paired with roasted vegetables and seasoned well with chipotle, cumin, and chili powder and stuffed into tortillas for tasty tacos.
- Meaty Sauteed Seitan: Seitan is sauteed in a mixture of barbecue sauce and vinegar for a meaty flavor. Use the sauteed seitan for sandwiches, burritos, or anything else.
- Vegetarian Southern Fried "Chicken": This recipe isn't healthy by any means, but it sure is good! Deep fried seitan and a blend of spices create a dish that's really quite similar in appearance and taste to fried chicken.
- Chinese-style Stir Fry with Seitan and Hoisin Sauce: Using hoisin sauce is a great way to quickly add flavor to a simple stir-fry. This stir-fry recipe calls for seitan, broccoli, and bell peppers, but use your favorite veggies if you prefer.
- Vegetarian "Beef" and Guinness Stew: Irish beef and Guinness stew, a popular Irish pub meal, gets a makeover in this recipe. Using seitan instead of beef for a vegetarian twist.
- Vegan Pho with Seitan: The most popular Vietnamese dish, a noodle bowl called "pho," gets a meaty vegetarian makeover in this vegan recipe for pho with seitan.
- Thai Massaman Curry with Seitan: Chinese five-spice powder spices up this unique Thai curry with seitan, potatoes, and peanuts. There's nothing else quite like it!
- Crockpot Seitan Stew: If you like a traditional meat and potatoes stew, try this vegetarian version with seitan. It's got the same flavor but is lower in fat and cholesterol-free.
- Spicy Seitan Buffalo Wings: Seitan, fried in spices and coated in the hot sauce, makes for a vegetarian and vegan substitute for traditional pub buffalo wings.
- Easy Seitan "Hot Wings": An easy seitan recipe with a touch of sweetness and lots of spice!