Easy vegetarian Frito pie casserole with veggie burgers, chili and cheese. Use a shredded dairy-free cheese to make this recipe vegan. Although this is a simple recipe for Frito pie, the variation possibilities are endless. I'd add some sliced green chilies, if I happened to have some on hand, and I might toss in some canned corn or black olives, too.
As you can see from the ingredients list, this quick and easy meatless casserole isn't going to win any gourmet food awards, but for a quick and easy baked casserole dish for busy nights, it's a winner. Quantities are approximate.
- 2 cups Fritos, lightly crushed
- 2 15-ounce cans vegetarian chili
- 4 veggie burgers, crumbled or about 1 cup of vegetarian ground-beef substitute, pan-fried
- 8 ounces shredded cheddar cheese (about 1 cup)
- Gather the ingredients.
- Place a single layer of lightly crushed Fritos on the bottom of the casserole pan, then top with a thick layer of vegetarian chili, and then the crumbled veggie burgers. Place another layer of Fritos, then another layer of chili, and top it all off with the shredded cheddar cheese.
- Bake your Frito pie in the oven for about 15 minutes, until cooked through and cheese is melty and bubbly.