|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Servings: 4 bowls (4 servings)|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 2g||3%|
|Saturated Fat 0g||2%|
|Total Carbohydrate 46g||17%|
|Dietary Fiber 9g||32%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
Although this quick and easy vegetable posole soup recipe is both vegetarian and vegan, traditional Mexican posole soup is almost never vegetarian! Which means that even though this meat-free posole recipe may not be quite as authentic as others, you'll find that the powerfully spicy combination of peppers, hominy, chili powder, and cumin along with plenty of onions and garlic in a tomato-based broth lends a hearty and satisfying and authentic Mexican flavor.
Be sure you have some extra toppings for serving your posole soup as well. Shredded cabbage, lime, and radish are traditional, as are chili peppers or hot sauce.
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 onion (diced)
- 1/2 cup water
- 3 carrots (sliced or grated)
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 15-ounce can hominy
- 1 15-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1 red bell pepper (chopped)
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- Optional: fresh cilantro for garnish
- Optional: shredded cabbage
- Optional: lime wedges
- Optional: thinly sliced radishes
- Optional: avocado slices
Gather the ingredients.
In a large soup or stock pot, simmer together the minced garlic, diced onion, and sliced carrots in the water for a few minutes over medium-high heat, until the onions are soft. Add in the vegetable broth and allow to simmer for another 5 or 6 minutes or so, until the carrots are soft.
Add in the can of hominy, the crushed tomatoes, chopped bell pepper, cumin, salt, pepper, and chili powder and give it all a quick stir to combine. Bring it all to a boil then reduce the heat to medium-low and allow to simmer all together, covered, for at least 20 minutes minimum and up to 30 or 35 minutes.
Just before serving, or when placed into individual bowls, garnish your vegetarian posole with a bit of chopped fresh cilantro, if desired.
Serve and enjoy!
- Posole is traditionally served topped with a few other garnishes, such as shredded cabbage, sliced avocado or radishes, or chili peppers, as well. Instead of topping off the serving bowl with these optional garnishes, arrange a plate of garnishes and allow everyone to add their own to their individual soup bowls.