Easy whole wheat vegetarian lasagna with spinach baked in the oven with three kinds of cheeses. What's not to love? This is the perfect classic spinach lasagna recipe for the whole family!
Make your vegetarian lasagna just a bit healthier by using this recipe, which calls for whole wheat lasagna noodles and spinach. Even though it uses whole wheat noodles, this Italian spinach lasagna is incredibly rich and creamy as it uses plenty of mozzarella, Parmesan, and low-fat cottage cheese. Of course, you don't have to use whole wheat lasagna noodles if you prefer the regular kind.
This spinach lasagna recipe is courtesy of the Wheat Foods Council.
See also: More vegetarian recipes
- 1 8-ounce package whole wheat lasagne noodles, cooked slightly (al dente)
- 1 9-ounce package frozen raw spinach (well thawed and drained)
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 3 eggs
- 3 cups low-fat cottage cheese
- 3 cups pre-made or store-bought pasta sauce
- 3 cups grated low-moisture part skim mozzarella cheese
- Pre-heat the oven to 325 degrees F.
- In a medium mixing bowl, beat the eggs then add the cottage cheese and Parmesan cheese. Spray a 13 x 9-inch glass baking dish with non-stick cooking spray or a homemade olive oil spray.
- Put one layer of the slightly cooked lasagna noodles flat across the bottom of the baking dish. Add about half of the spinach, pressing down lightly and evenly over the noodles. Top with another layer of lasagna noodles. Top this layer of noodles with the cottage cheese mixture then add the remaining spinach. Then add the last of the lasagna noodles laid evenly on top of spinach.
- Once you've layered everything, spread the pasta sauce evenly over the top and sprinkle the whole thing with mozzarella cheese. Press down lightly.
- Cover baking dish with foil, using foil sprayed with cooking spray and keeping foil off the center of the lasagna. Secure sides tightly over baking dish.
- Bake about 1 hour 15 minutes in oven. To lightly brown the top, remove foil for a few minutes at the end of baking time.
- Allow to sit for 10 to 15 minutes before serving.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||12 g|
|Saturated Fat||5 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||4 g|
|Dietary Fiber||3 g|