This easy zucchini cake is made with a store-bought carrot cake mix. Bits of shredded carrot add flavor and extra color to this easy cake. The pictured cake was baked in a springform pan, but a 9-by-13-by-2-inch baking pan may be used as well.
There have been a number of positive comments and some suggestions from readers. One person suggested adding extra spices to the batter and another person replaced the coconut with raisins.
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil (neutral flavor: canola oil, corn oil, or safflower oil)
- 4 large eggs
- 1 (8 ounce) can crushed pineapple with juice, undrained
- 1 (18 ounces) box carrot cake mix with pudding in the mix
- 1 medium zucchini (unpeeled, grated, about 1 1/2 cups grated)
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- Optional: 1/2 cup flaked coconut
- Heat oven to 350 F.
- Grease and flour a 9-by-13-by-2-inch baking pan or a large (10-inch) round baking pan or springform pan.
- In a mixing bowl with an electric mixer, beat the vegetable oil and eggs together. Beat in the pineapple with juice and the cake mix. Blend well.
- Fold in the zucchini, chopped pecans, and coconut, if using.
- Bake the cake for 45 to 50 minutes, or until it bounces back when touched lightly with a finger.
- Dust the cake with sifted powdered sugar or frost with a cream cheese frosting.
- Add raisins, currants, or dried cranberries to the batter along with the pecans.
- Replace the pecans with chopped walnuts or hazelnuts.
- Toast the pecans or coconut before adding them to the batter.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||10 g|
|Saturated Fat||2 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||5 g|
|Dietary Fiber||3 g|