This version of the ever-popular breakfast casserole is made with pork sausage, cheese, eggs, and a variety of seasonings.
This casserole is spiced with a little nutmeg and cayenne. The casserole is made the night before, making it a very convenient one-dish meal for a busy morning. Use spicy or mild sausage in the recipe.
- 1 pound bulk pork sausage
- 6 large eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dry mustard
- 1 (scant) teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- dash ground cayenne pepper
- 3 slices Italian bread (or other firm white bread, cubed)
- 1 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese (4 ounces)
- Crumble the sausage into a large skillet over medium heat. Brown the sausage until no longer pink, stirring frequently. Drain well; pat with paper towels to absorb excess grease.
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs with the milk, and seasonings until smooth and well blended. Add the well-drained sausage and remaining ingredients (bread cubes and shredded cheese)
- . Pour the mixture into a lightly buttered 8-inch square baking dish; cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove from the refrigerator 30 to 45 minutes before baking time.
- Preheat the oven to 325 F.
- Bake for about 55 to 65 minutes, or until the eggs are set and the top of the casserole is lightly browned. A knife inserted near center should come out clean. If you have an instant-read food thermometer, insert it into the center of the casserole. The minimum safe temperature for eggs is 160 F.
- Cool the casserole on a rack for 10 minutes before cutting and serving.
- Serve the casserole with fresh diced or sliced tomatoes or fruit.
Serves 4 to 6.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||35 g|
|Saturated Fat||16 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||12 g|
|Dietary Fiber||1 g|