This breakfast casserole recipe is a hearty one-dish meal that's ideal for holidays and special occasions. It has a little bit of everything in it - eggs, sausage, hash browns, onions, peppers and cheese, so it's perfect when you want to serve a crowd.
Don't Miss: Breakfast Casserole Recipes | Overnight French Toast Casserole Recipe
- 1 pound breakfast sausage or turkey sausage
- 1/4 cup butter
- 3 cups frozen shredded potato
- hash browns thawed
- 8 large eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon. kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon. freshly-ground black pepper
- 24 ounces. low-fat cottage cheese
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 small orange or red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 2 cups shredded
- cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Spray a 9 x 13 baking dish with cooking spray.
- Brown sausage in a large skillet, breaking up with a wooden spoon. Drain and set aside.
- Place butter in the prepared baking dish. Place in the oven for 5 minutes or until melted. Remove dish from oven, and toss melted butter with shredded hash browns, pressing hash browns into the bottom of the pan to form a potato crust.
- In a large bowl, beat eggs with salt and pepper. Stir in cottage cheese, onions, orange peppers, sausage and 1 cup of the shredded cheese. Pour evenly over potato crust. Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Bake 45-60 minutes or until cheese is melted, and a toothpick inserted in the center of the casserole comes out clean.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||33 g|
|Saturated Fat||15 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||12 g|
|Dietary Fiber||2 g|