|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Servings: Serves 6 to 8|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 11g||14%|
|Saturated Fat 1g||6%|
|Total Carbohydrate 47g||17%|
|Dietary Fiber 5g||18%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
It's not often you come across a kugel recipe that doesn't involve eggs. But this dairy-free, nut-free, egg-free Sweet Potato Kugel is bound by a bit of whole wheat flour and lemon juice instead. Enhanced with root vegetables, apple, and a hint of bright lemon zest, it's a nice alternative to heavier potato kugels. And don't forget -- "since sweet is the name of the game on Rosh Hashanah," says Giora Shimoni, "this kugel would make the perfect holiday side dish for your New Year celebration."
Recipe Testing Tip:
Whole white wheat flour (sometimes called white whole wheat) works nicely in this recipe. It is nutritionally comparable to regular whole wheat flour, but has a more delicate flavor than the regular whole wheat flour called for below.
Edited by Miri Rotkovitz
- 1 large sweet potato, (about 1 pound) peeled
- 2 to 3 medium Yukon Gold potatoes (about 1 pound), peeled
- 1 carrot, peeled and trimmed
- 1 apple, cored
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup neutral oil, such as canola or grapeseed
- zest and juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Gather the ingredients.
- Preheat the oven to 350 F (175 C). Grease an 8x8x2 or similarly-sized baking pan, or spray with non-stick spray.
- Using a food processor or box grater, shred the potatoes, carrot and apple. Transfer to a large bowl. Add the whole wheat flour, sugar, oil, lemon zest and juice, salt, and cinnamon and mix well.
- Spoon the batter into pan and smooth the top, pressing down lightly. Cover with foil. Bake in the preheated oven for 45 minutes, uncover, and continue baking for another 15 minutes, or until the kugel is set and the edges are golden.