Make sandwiches with this flavorful egg salad using your favorite bread or biscuits and lettuce leaves. This egg salad also makes a great spread for appetizers. Put some on a cracker and top with a little caviar, sliced ripe or stuffed olives, red onion slices, or pimiento for tasty party food.
The egg salad mixture is shown on a cream cheese and chive biscuit.
- 8 large eggs
- 4 to 5 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 to 3 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons chives
- 1/4 cup celery (finely chopped or thinly sliced)
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- dash salt (to taste)
Put the eggs in a saucepan; cover with cold water. Cover the saucepan and bring to a full boil.
Remove from heat and let stand, covered, for about 18 to 20 minutes. Rinse the eggs with cold water until cool enough to handle.
Peel and chop the eggs, then put in a bowl. Add the snipped chives and celery. Stir in 2 teaspoons of the mustard and 4 tablespoons of mayonnaise until well blended.
Add more mustard and mayonnaise if desired. Add pepper and stir in salt, to taste.
- For moister egg yolks, reduce the standing time to about 15 minutes.
- Use for sandwiches or hors d'oeuvres or serve as a luncheon salad on lettuce leaves.
- Instead of chives, add finely chopped red onion or scallions to the egg salad.
- A tablespoon of fresh chopped parsley may be added to the egg salad along with the chives.