Make sandwiches with this flavorful egg salad using your favorite bread or biscuits and lettuce leaves. This egg salad also makes a great spread for appetizers. Put some on a cracker and top with a little caviar, sliced ripe or stuffed olives, red onion slices, or pimiento for tasty party food.
The egg salad mixture is shown on a cream cheese and chive biscuit.
- 8 large eggs
- 4 to 5 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 to 3 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons chives
- 1/4 cup celery (finely chopped or thinly sliced)
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- dash salt (to taste)
- Put the eggs in a saucepan; cover with cold water. Cover the saucepan and bring to a full boil.
- Remove from heat and let stand, covered, for about 18 to 20 minutes. Rinse the eggs with cold water until cool enough to handle.
- Peel and chop the eggs, then put in a bowl. Add the snipped chives and celery. Stir in 2 teaspoons of the mustard and 4 tablespoons of mayonnaise until well blended.
- Add more mustard and mayonnaise if desired. Add pepper and stir in salt, to taste.
- Use for sandwiches or hors d'oeuvres or serve as a luncheon salad on lettuce leaves.
Tips and Variations
- Instead of chives, add finely chopped red onion or scallions to the egg salad.
- A tablespoon of fresh chopped parsley may be added to the egg salad along with the chives.
- For moister egg yolks, reduce the standing time to about 15 minutes.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||12 g|
|Saturated Fat||2 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||3 g|
|Dietary Fiber||0 g|