|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
Sliced sauteed eggplant takes the place of the noodles in this chicken lasagna recipe.
The eggplant is layered with tomatoes, cooked diced chicken, and mozzarella cheese. With no noodles or heavy ricotta cheese filling, it is lighter than the typical lasagna.
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 medium eggplant, peeled and sliced lengthwise
- 1/4 cup fine, dry breadcrumbs
- 2 to 4 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 1/4 cup diced onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 cans (8 ounces each) tomato sauce
- 1 (16-ounce) can tomatoes, undrained and chopped
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon dried whole oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups chopped cooked chicken or turkey
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
Heat the oven to 350 F (180 C/Gas 4).
In a bowl, whisk the egg and milk together. Dip the eggplant slices in the milk mixture and then dredge in breadcrumbs to coat thoroughly.
Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a skillet over medium heat. Cook the eggplant slices in batches until browned on both sides, adding more oil if needed. Remove eggplant; drain on paper towels.
Saute onion and garlic in remaining oil; add tomato sauce, tomatoes, parsley, sugar, oregano, and salt. Cook over medium heat, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Stir in chicken; remove from heat.
Arrange half of the eggplant slices in a 9-by-13-by-2-inch baking dish; spoon half of the sauce mixture over eggplant. Repeat layers. Bake, uncovered, in the preheated oven for 25 minutes. Sprinkle with the mozzarella and Parmesan cheese and bake for 5 to 10 minutes longer to melt the cheese.