|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Servings: 6 Servings|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 16g||21%|
|Saturated Fat 5g||26%|
|Total Carbohydrate 45g||16%|
|Dietary Fiber 7g||26%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
Spicy sausage and plenty of diced eggplant add flavor and texture to this easy pasta sauce. Serve the sauce with pasta, a tossed salad, and garlic bread for a fantastic family meal. I used farfalle pasta in the sauce pictured, but it would be great with spaghetti or linguine as well.
Serve this zesty sauce over your favorite pasta, and pass the Parmesan. If you can't find fresh andouille or chorizo sausage, use a spicy Italian sausage. You could also leave the meat out if you prefer a vegetarian option. Add Parmesan cheese to the sauce or pass it at the table.
It is an excellent way to use fresh eggplant, and it's a delicious sauce!
- 8 to 12 ounces fresh andouille (or chorizo sausage, or Italian sausage)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion (chopped, about 1/4 to 1/2 cup)
- 3 cloves garlic (finely minced)
- 2 medium eggplants (peeled and diced, about 5 to 6 cups diced eggplant)
- 8 ounces portobello mushrooms (or button mushrooms, diced)
- 8 large basil leaves (chopped)
- 2 cans (14.5 ounces each) tomatoes (diced)
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- Dash salt (or to taste)
- Dash freshly ground black pepper (or to taste)
- 1 pound pasta (your choice, hot and cooked)
Remove sausage from casings.
In a large saucepan over medium heat, cook the sausage in the olive oil, breaking it up with a spatula as it cooks.
Add the onion and cook for about 2 minutes longer.
Add the garlic, diced eggplant, and mushrooms and continue cooking, stirring, for about 5 minutes.
Add basil, tomatoes, and tomato paste, and sugar, stirring to blend.
Reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Cover and simmer for about 30 minutes longer, stirring occasionally.
Add salt and pepper, to taste.
Serve with hot cooked pasta.