A simple cheese topping makes this eggplant and tomato casserole flavorful and appealing.
- 1 medium eggplant (sliced in 1/4-inch thick rounds)
- Extra-virgin olive oil (as needed)
- 1/2 medium sweet onion (cut in thin slices)
- 1 medium clove garlic (minced)
- 1 (14 1/2-ounce) can diced tomatoes (with juice)
- 1/8 teaspoon dried leaf basil
- Dash salt (or to taste)
- Dash freshly ground black pepper (or to taste)
- 3 slices Mozzarella cheese (or about 1 cup shredded)
Gather the ingredients.
Layer eggplant slices in a colander, salting each layer generously. Let stand for 30 minutes. Rinse well and pat dry.
Heat a thin layer of olive oil in a large skillet or sauté pan over medium heat; add eggplant to the hot oil and cook, turning once, for about 5 minutes, or until lightly browned. Repeat until all eggplant slices are cooked, using as little oil as needed to fry the slices. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
Add more oil to the skillet if needed; add onions and garlic. Cook until tender.
Add the tomatoes to onion mixture along with the basil, and salt and pepper, to taste.
Layer eggplant slices with the onion and tomato mixture in a shallow, lightly greased casserole.
Bake the eggplant for 20 minutes at 350 F/180 C.
Top with sliced or shredded Mozzarella cheese and bake for 8 minutes longer, or until cheese is melted.
- This recipe calls for canned tomatoes in this dish, but feel free to use 2 cups of peeled and seeded fresh tomatoes in place of the canned tomatoes.