This is a delicious casserole, and a wonderful way to enjoy a combination of zucchini and eggplant. The vegetables are combined with tomatoes, onions, and cheese. The casserole is topped with buttered bread crumbs and baked to perfection.
Make this side dish casserole to go with just about any main dish.
- 1 large eggplant, peeled and cut in cubes or 4 to 5 small eggplants, sliced in rounds
- 2 medium zucchini or summer squash or combination, sliced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) stewed tomatoes
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1 1/2 cups soft bread crumbs tossed with 2 tablespoons melted butter
- Put eggplant and zucchini in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium, and boil until vegetables are tender, about 12 to 15 minutes. Drain well.
- Heat the oven to 350 F.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, saute the onion in 1 tablespoon of butter until tender. Combine the onion with the tomatoes, salt and pepper, and the drained eggplant.
- Spoon half of the vegetable mixture into the prepared casserole. Top with about two-thirds of the cheese and two-thirds of the bread crumbs. Top with the remaining vegetable mixture and the remaining cheese and bread crumbs.
- Bake for 25 minutes, or until the topping is lightly browned and the casserole is bubbly.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||24 g|
|Saturated Fat||13 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||7 g|
|Dietary Fiber||6 g|