You can easily replace the mushroom soup with your own thick white sauce, or use cream of celery soup. If you don't want to use bacon, top the casserole with about 1/2 cup of shredded cheese just before it's done.
This is a good dish for a potluck dinner or holiday meal.
- 1 medium eggplant
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1 can (10 3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1/2 cup chopped bell pepper
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup fine dry breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 strips bacon, partially cooked
- Peel and cube eggplant. Place the cubes in cold water for 10 minutes; drain and cook in boiling water with onions and celery until tender. Drain and mash.
- Combine soup and milk in a bowl and then stir into the mashed eggplant. Add pepper, cheese, bread crumbs and salt. Pour into greased casserole.
- Top with partially cooked bacon and bake uncovered at 350 F for about 35 minutes.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||28 g|
|Saturated Fat||17 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||7 g|
|Dietary Fiber||4 g|