Eggplant, three kinds of cheese, and a simply prepared sauce are layered with lasagna noodles in this fabulous vegetarian dish.
- 1 1/2 pounds eggplant, thinly sliced
- Vegetable spray
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 16 ounces sliced mushrooms
- 9 lasagna noodles
- 1 jar (16 ounces) spaghetti sauce with vegetables
- 8 ounces ricotta cheese, part-skim
- 4 ounces shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
In a large nonstick skillet sprayed with vegetable spray, quickly brown eggplant slices and set aside.
In the same skillet in hot olive oil, cook onion for about 3 to 4 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until tender.
Add mushrooms and cook, stirring frequently, about 5 minutes or until mushrooms are tender.
Cook lasagna noodles in boiling salted water according to package directions.
Spoon about one-quarter of the sauce Into an 11x7-inch baking dish. Arrange three alternate layers of lasagna noodles, ricotta, mushroom mixture, mozzarella cheese, eggplant slices, sauce, and Parmesan cheese.
Bake eggplant lasagna at 350 F for 30 to 40 minutes.