Prepared spaghetti sauce makes this an easy dish to fix. Serve this eggplant casserole with hot cooked spaghetti, linguine, or your favorite pasta and a tossed salad.
The eggplant and vegetables are roasted and then layered in a baking dish with the sauce and melty mozzarella cheese. It's a delicious way to enjoy eggplant!
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 small eggplants (about 1 1/2 pounds, sliced in 1/4-inch thick rounds)
- Dash salt
- Dash pepper
- 1 red bell pepper (sliced, optional)
- 4 ounces mushrooms (sliced, optional)
- 2 to 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 jar (about 24 ounces) spaghetti sauce
- 2 cups part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese (shredded)
- Heat the oven to 400 F (200 C/Gas 6).
- Line two baking sheets with foil. Brush foil with a little of the olive oil. Arrange slices of eggplant over the bottom of one of the baking sheets; brush slices with olive oil and sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper. Arrange bell pepper and mushrooms on the other baking sheet.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 8 minutes. Turn the vegetables and bake for 7 to 8 minutes longer. Remove from oven and let cool slightly.
- Grease a 3-quart baking dish. Arrange a layer of eggplant slices in the bottom of the baking dish. Top with a few slices of bell pepper, some mushrooms, and about 1/3 of the sauce. Sprinkle with 1/3 of the mozzarella cheese. Repeat layers two more times, then sprinkle with the Parmesan cheese.
- Bake the casserole for 25 to 30 minutes, until vegetables are tender and cheese is melted. Serves 4 to 6.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||19 g|
|Saturated Fat||5 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||11 g|
|Dietary Fiber||7 g|