Eggs florentine is a poached egg dish with spinach and a simple white sauce. The eggs are arranged on the cooked spinach, covered with sauce and some shredded or grated cheese, and then the baked for a few minutes to melt the cheese.
The eggs and spinach make an easy and attractive breakfast or brunch dish. This dish would be excellent for a special breakfast or a holiday morning.
- Heat the oven to 400 F (200 C/Gas 6). Butter a shallow 2-quart baking dish
- Cook the spinach on the stovetop or steam it in the microwave following the package instructions. Drain well and set aside.
- Prepare the white sauce. In a small saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter. Add flour; blend well and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Gradually add the half-and-half or light cream, stirring constantly, until thickened and bubbly.
- Arrange the spinach in the bottom of the buttered shallow baking dish. Arrange the cooked, drained eggs over the top of the spinach then spoon the white sauce over the eggs. Sprinkle with salt, pepper, and grated or shredded cheese.
- Bake the eggs in the preheated oven for 2 to 3 minutes, or just until the cheese has melted.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||69 g|
|Saturated Fat||39 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||20 g|
|Dietary Fiber||3 g|